Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Anchorage Island, sans tripod

There was a lunar eclipse visible down here but I slept through it!!!

Well, realizing this once I had awoken today, I decided to go for a walk. Anchorage Island is roughly north west of Davis and about 2km away. A bit before smoko I took ice axe, radio and camera in hand and went for a wander. With the sea ice lit clearly by the bright moon I had a rare experience, a quiet moment to myself. Funny that we 24 expeditioners have come to a place considered the most isolated on the planet and yet sometimes it can can feel so crowded. I had a light in my pocket to negotiate the tide cracks at the base of the island and made my way to the top where there are three memorial crosses for each of the expeditioners that passed away down here between 1985 and 2005.

Apologies for the "hyper-shake" No tripod and cold hands made for fun with long exposure. Added bonus that my point and shoot camera is not flat bottomed so tends to want to fall over a lot when you sit it down. These were the best shots I could manage.


At the base of the island


Cross to south of island


Cross to north of island


View of Davis from Anchorage

No comments:

Post a Comment